Tuesday, December 12, 2006

Suicide

Tonight I found out an old family friend committed suicide. Three self-inflicted gunshot wounds to the chest... I can't imagine... to be honest I'm still in shock. She was a dear Christian woman and a member of my church- there every Sunday. None of us ever suspected anything was wrong, but we’ve now found out she'd been battling depression.

I keep hearing suicide stories about people who were struggling with "depression", and the more I hear, the less I believe it was just that. I think our society explains too much away with medicine and technology, when it's really often a spiritual battle! I just can't imagine any other way you could get that desperate and hopeless, unless you were believing lies from the enemy.

With that in mind, I realized that there may be others in my life with the same struggles, who need to be reminded of the TRUTH. And so, I sat down to write. This is what the Lord gave me....


Suicide

It's gray outside today.
She shuts herself away
to hide from the cold

on the other side of her front door.
It matches the cold she feels inside
and no matter how she tries to fight the dark,
her soul can't find the light.

"Just end it all"
says the voice in her mind...
A voice so familiar it feels like her own,
convincing her she's all alone.
The voice continues the onslaught of lies-
locked away in her room alone she cries
believing still that the voice is her own,
Never thinking that she could be wrong.

So Satan continues
weaving a web
of tangled lies within her head,
watching her heart and spirit break
until she feels she can’t escape.
Desperate to be free she searches her mind-
He offers more lies, an escape of some kind:
“Some pills, a gun, a razor tonight”-
He tells her that’s how she’ll make everything right.

Hopeless and broken she sees no other way.
Desperate to find an escape from the pain
She takes his suggestion,
embraces his blame,
and watches her life slip away.

---
And all the while, LOVE watched in tears
praying and hoping she’d see He was near
Offering HOPE and TRUTH and LIGHT,
Ready to fight away the night.
Arms outstretched to comfort and heal
with POWER to make the enemy yield.
Offering life abundant and free
from the destructive lies of the enemy.

And still He stands,
The source of TRUTH
Above the fight that rages on
To give you HOPE
When yours is gone
So don’t give up
You’re not alone.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home