Sunday, February 11, 2007

BIG plans for small people...

For my 23rd birthday, I decided I wanted to have my first gig in the coffee shop scene. A random way to celebrate, maybe, but it's what I wanted. Thankfully, we were able to pull it off (with my friends Zach Benson and Josh Adams playing with me, and Sandy and Trish Toomer letting us perform at Toomer's Coffee). It went GREAT! It was packed, and people had a blast! Of course we didn't make any money really ($5 each in tips), but who cares? I loved it.

Then, a few days later, I started thinking...

For a long time I've been feeling like God has BIG plans for me. Now I don't know what that means exactly... maybe they're big plans in man's eyes- maybe they're just big in God's eyes... either way is fine with me! But one thing I know for sure... God didn't give me my voice back to do nothing with it.

I have these big dreams... these crazy big dreams, and this passion to do something BIG with my music. Of course, making $5 at a coffeeshop wouldn't do much. But then I thought, "what if people knew it was for a good cause? what if all these people came back to listen? and what if they all gave? even just 5 bucks? what could we do?" From those questions came the idea for a Benefit Series-- 3 shows, benefiting 3 causes I'm passionate about, for 3 months. I pitched the idea to Zach and Josh- they were on board. Then, to the Toomers where I heard: "this is something we could get behind Ericka! You know... it never was about the coffee." That last sentence got me. I wanted to shout! We all had the same vision! My little idea was becoming a reality.

A BIG reality.

We decided our first show would be to benefit Invisible Children (www.invisiblechildren.com). We only had a week, but in that time God moved in amazing ways! Through connections with friends from Auburn (Courtney Hurst), the Invisible Children organization got on board, the Auburn IC contact (Sarah Chaplin) got on board, and we were placed in contact with the IC Deep South Roadies (Will, Lauren, Matt, Kathryn). The Toomers got behind the idea 100% and started promoting online with blogs, links, streaming video, and podcasts. IC hooked us up with promo material to use all around Auburn. In no time, the night of the show was here.

It's now been a week since the Invisible Children Benefit Show. Looking back, I am still astounded. How is it that everything could come together so quickly? How could it have gotten so big, so fast? How could we have packed that many people into a little coffeeshop? and how could a coffeeshop full of college kids give $1,927.00 in just one night?!

It all started with one question... " what if ".

What if you asked yourself some questions?
What if you took a risk?
What if you refused to accept mediocrity?
What if you let yourself dream BIG?
What if you refused to fit into societies expectations?
What if you followed your heart?
What if you let your passions take over?
What if you gave away your life?
What if?

I'm fully convinced that God has BIG plans for small people who are passionately pursuing Him.
What if you traded your plans for His?

There is much I want to share right now- so much- about my incredible job, my music, my mission dreams, and my plans to go to Africa... but all that will have to wait. For now, I just want you to concentrate on the "what ifs" in your life... and see what God tells you!

I'm learning how to do that, and how to catch His vision... little by little, and let me tell you- it's a beautiful thing.


For more information about the Benefit Series, check out:
www.toomerscoffee.com
or download the free podcast off Itunes (just search Toomers Coffee).

1 Comments:

At 10:32 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

People should read this.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home