Saturday, February 04, 2006

Overflow...

I've been contemplating this concept of overflow all week. Of course this wasn't a new concept... I'd heard it and used it many times before. It wasn't that I didn't know what it was, or that I'd never experienced it before... there was just something new about it; it was in such abundance that it was almost overwhelming!

I spent most of the week frustrated, because my schedule was so consumed with stuff (ahh... that terrible word... "responsibility") that I couldn't avoid and couldn't put off. I longed for Oregon (*this picture is from a 6 mile hike there) and the freedom to "go and do" that I had (b/c I didn't have day-to-day responsibilities consuming me there). My purpose was the same as the water pouring forth in this picture-- the Love from Father was surging through me-- but "stuff" was blocking the path through which it needed to flow. I walked around feeling as if I would just burst at any moment! I was already overflowing but He wasn't stopping... He just kept filling me up until I wanted to scream "BUT LORD!!! YOU'VE GOT TO GIVE ME SOMEWHERE TO PUT ALL THIS!!!"

After a long week of meetings, studying, and very little sleep- He finally did.

A couple of weeks ago I'd walked by the table in the food court in Foy. You may have seen it... it's always packed out with a very interesting group of people... some in all black, some with green hair, many with piercings and tattoos. They're the group most people are probably afraid of... the group people see as outcasts... the group people overlook... the group people try to ignore.

My first thought was- "Wow, they remind me of my friends in Oregon!" I didn't know it wouldn't stop at that. Pretty soon God had turned that little thought into a burning desire to know them, to befriend them, to love them, and to fight for their hearts. Each day I walked past I was compelled to go to them, and each day I lacked the time. And so, I prayed for an opportunity and I asked my wonderful co-leaders (Sally and Cassie) and Matt Dean to do the same.

Friday was the day. I'd had very little sleep and all I wanted to do was go home and take a nap! Instead, God said "This is it... this is the day. Go." So I did.


"Hey... umm... do you guys mind if I sit with you? I really hate eating alone." That's what I said when I walked up. That was it. Funny... but that was all they needed. You would think they would turn me away-- after all, they have a right to, I'm very different from them. You would think they would judge me-- after all, society constantly judges them. Lucky for me, they didn't. We talked, we laughed, I met around 10 or 15 of them... and in 2 and 1/2 hours God had opened the door for me to share my testimony, talk about their hate for the "church", talk about a personal relationship with Jesus vs. religion, hear their family backgrounds, and find out specific ways I could pray for them! I was in AWE-- the whole 2 and 1/2 hours was so surreal, the whole time full of me asking incredulously "is this REALLY happening?!"

It was... and it is. With one moment of willingness God opened the door to so many new friends... and I already love them. I really and truly do! They need His healing- I can see it in their eyes. His heart is for them and I am SO thankful that He would use me to be tangible love to them, and that He would send me to Oregon to learn how to love them! Who knew a mission trip across the country would be preparing my heart for people right here on Auburn's campus?! Who knew a week of frustration about where my overflow needed to go would culminate in this?!

Oh wait... that's right... God knew. Nothing surprises Him, huh?

All week I franticly looked for empty little cups to fill with my overflow, and all week He was forcing me to wait... leading me all the while onto sun-scorched land.




Posted by Picasa

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home